Feb 14 2011
Happy Valentine’s Day, everyone!
This year, instead of the variations of red velvet cupcakes that I made two years ago and last year, I decided to go a different route. No, not the vanilla bean cupcakes with white frosting I showed you this weekend…
This time, I made cookies. Heart-shaped cookies with no red in sight.
And for the first time in my life, I made royal icing, following Bridget’s recipe and instructions over at Bake at 350. I’m not sure why this type of icing seemed so daunting to me, when really, it was (mostly) much easier than I expected.
Don’t let me scare you. For me, the most difficult part was spreading the icing out during the flooding portion, because I have difficulty holding a toothpick (I dropped one into the icing – whoops!), a problem very few of you have, I’m sure. And sure, my outlines weren’t perfect, and I had a few bubbles in the finished icing… but I wasn’t sure how much time I would have to flood, add the dots, and drag the toothpick through the dots to turn them into hearts before the icing set on me.
Now, however, I know that I have much more time than I realized, so next time, I will take care to make sure the cookies look nicer. In the meantime, who cares? They’re my favorite cookie, the kind I usually only have at Christmas!
1 cup butter
3 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon soda
½ teaspoon powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup sugar
Using the paddle attachment of a stand mixer, cut the butter and dry ingredients together (or use a pastry blender or two knives). In a separate bowl, beat eggs and mix in the sugar. Add the vanilla and mix. Make a well in the middle of dry ingredients, add the wet sugar mixture and combine. Flatten dough into disks and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill at least 1 hour or overnight.
Preheat oven to 350. Roll out dough to about ¼ inch thick and cut into shapes. Bake for 7-10 minutes on parchment-lined baking sheets. Cool completely before icing.
I used the Royal Icing recipe and instructions found at Bake at 350.
As usual, I was short on a main ingredient; I had only 2/3 pound of confectioners’ sugar, so I adjusted the proportions of all ingredients. (There are those fractions again…)